ranting. raving. want a job.

16 Mar

Listen ya’ll. Finding a job is hard.

Don’t get me wrong – there’s a lot of them. When people say that SLP is a field that needs people, they aren’t lying. But nobody wants CFs! I’ve lost count of the number of jobs I’ve applied to and I’ve had three interviews. I’ve applied to schools, early childhood centers, contract companies, hopsitals, nursing homes. I’ve applied to full-time, part-time, PRN. I’ve applied all over the state of Missouri but I may need to start branching out. I told the contract company I’ve done a phone interview with that I will go anywhere within a 300 mile radius of St. Louis. WANT JOB.

Even finding the open positions is hard. You have to

(1) think up the names of schools and hospitals or do a ton of research finding places in the city you want,

(2) navigate their website,

(3) find out if there are any SLP positions available,Β  and

(4) fill out each individual application which takes one thousand billion years.

Contract companies often just have you fill out their inquiry form and then they call you so that isn’t too bad. If you’re looking for something specific – good luck. Trying to find early childhood centers that hire SLPs is quite the undertaking.

Then you have the nasty little problem of not being certified. In Missouri I can pretty much count on one month post-graduation before I can get a provisional license. Today I had an interview and it felt good but then it came down to, “Give me a call when you have your license.” Which is completely understandable – but it still sucks. I want to know at graduation I have a job.

The whole process of getting licensed and certified is also really convoluted. Here’s a little checklist of things you have to do if you want to work in the schools in Missouri:

– 6 years of school! NBD

– Pass the Praxis II – SLP

– Get a provisional license (and then a full license) from the Board of Healing Arts

– Get a Temporary Authorization Certificate from the Dept of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) – you have to get the go ahead from the Board of Healing Arts before you can do anything through DESE.

– Get a school certificate through DESE after you complete your CF (don’t forget – schools treat us like teachers!) called the Student Services Certificate.

– Complete your CF (36 weeks, supervised)

– Get your CCCs

– If you’re contracted in the schools you’ll need to get a Medicaid number. You cannot get a Medicaid number as a CF. So you cannot bill Medicaid.


– Maintain your certification with CEUs (30 hours of continuing education per biennium) through ASHA, Board of Healing Arts, and DESE

– PS. If you get your CCCs and THEN decide to work in the schools you’ll apply for an Initial Student Services certificate which expires in four years and THEN you get the Career Student Services certificate.

– PSS. You may also wish to be a part of your state association – so remember to pay for that as well!

Completely. Friggin. Insane.

Oh oh oh – and here’s something that is just AWESOME. In order to get a MO Provisional License – you must have a job, supervisor name, and employer name, before you can apply. Yeah. Don’t bother applying for a license unless you have a job already – but you may NOT see clients/patients until receive your license number. WHAT? So basically when you go into an interview you’re saying “Hire me now, but I can’t work for you until the end of June.”

Which is why it’s so hard to find medical placements – they’re hiring for NOW not four months from now.

If you want to find out about your state’s redonkulusness – you may do so on ASHA’s State-by-State website.

NP: Eric Church – Springsteen


12 Responses to “ranting. raving. want a job.”

  1. ladyecho88 March 16, 2012 at 6:02 pm #

    Oh goodnesss… I will be on this page Spring 2013…Many of my fellow graduates here in GA doing SLP-CFs now have used Staffing Options and Solutions or PPR Healthcare staffing…

    I hope the process steadys out for you 😦

  2. Lisa S (@sylinca) March 17, 2012 at 7:40 am #

    Poor you. In Quebec, as soon as we graduate we can work. In the rest of Canada, you sometimes also have to do your (c) (the equivalent of the CCC).

    Good luck!

    • weathersby March 17, 2012 at 6:12 pm #

      Hmmm. Need a roommate Lisa?

  3. Martha Myers March 17, 2012 at 9:23 am #

    Wow! In FL, you can work in the schools when you graduate with a bachelor’s (then you have 2 years to be accepted into a grad program, and once accepted, you have 5 years to finish your master’s). FL is desperate for therapists in the schools. Once your master’s is completed, my district will assign a therapist to mentor you during your CFY. And hey, it’s Florida…a beautiful state to live in. I know you said within a 300 mile radius, but just thought I’d mention what our state does.

    • weathersby March 17, 2012 at 9:25 am #

      Whoa. Maybe I’ll start applying to Florida and Canada! I don’t know why the system is so crazy here – like the Master’s hoops aren’t intense enough. We have this whole certification gauntlet.

  4. Lisa S (@sylinca) March 18, 2012 at 6:49 pm #

    Well Sam, there is an agreement with ASHA and CASLPA, so when you are licensed (and you passed the exam) in one association you can switch to the other (or have both) without re-doing the exam. So if Canada interests you, there is recognition. πŸ™‚
    Or you come, do the CASLPA exam, work here one year or two and then go back to the States without having to do all these things πŸ˜€

    • weathersby March 20, 2012 at 12:39 am #

      Honestly, it’s getting to the point where I’m taking ALL options into account! I never considered Canada but I mean, why not?!

  5. Tara Miller March 19, 2012 at 7:46 pm #

    I would say look in Illinois…but there are two additional tests you need to pass (The Basic Skills and Content Exam for SLP). They seem to have pretty many jobs available, so if you get really desperate, than maybe start searching there? I’m just now on the in-person interview phase for several places…so fingers crossed! Also, I think that St. Louis schools don’t come out with their openings until after their spring break (which is this week). So I bet more openings will open up!

    • weathersby March 20, 2012 at 12:37 am #

      Thanks Tara, I’ll have to look into IL. I’m getting rather frustrated! Good luck with your interviews, I bet you’re kicking butt

  6. Ashley O May 9, 2012 at 5:01 am #

    I’m pretty sure you just wrote the story of my life. I just went through all of this in Arizona. Feel your pain!

    • weathersby May 12, 2012 at 8:49 am #

      Yeah it has not been fun! I know it’ll work out for everyone but it’s still frustrating

  7. Steve Britt December 15, 2013 at 11:16 pm #

    I just wanted to second your thoughts on MO DESE. Its your classic bureaucracy. I have not been able to get a MO Provisional Teaching Certificate in Secondary Science because I am not under public school contract. I’ve been trying off and on for four years with no luck! At the few interviews I’ve had at public schools, they don’t seem to understand why I don’t already have a license 😦 I lost a job with K12 two years ago because DESE will only recognize “brick and mortar” schools and K12 would only keep me if I could get state certification. Talk about a catch-22. I am now working through the American Board to see if they can cut through the log jam. Hope springs eternal.

    Anyway, good luck to you. My wife is an SLP in Hickman Mills in Kansas City with 18 years experience. It is a high demand field, although rather poorly compensated for the education, certifications, and training required.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: